Social security as a sex worker

Benefits & social assistance

When are you entitled to benefits or social assistance and where can you apply for aid?
What happens if you are fired, the owner of the sex business goes bankrupt or you become ill for a long time and are unable to work – and you do not have enough income? What can you do?

When you work for the owner as an employee you may qualify for unemployment benefit, sickness benefit or an incapacity benefit under the Work and Income (Ability to Work) Act (WIA). However, you will need to meet the conditions attached to these benefits.

Sick leave: you employer must continue to pay your salary. You must receive at least 70% of your salary and at least the statutory minimum wage. You employee continues to pay your salary during your sick leave for a maximum of 2 years. If you are still ill after these 2 years then you may be entitled to an incapacity benefit under the Work and Income (Ability to Work) Act (WIA benefit). The Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) assesses whether you are entitled to this benefit.

​If you suddenly lose your job and are not entitled to these benefits you can request social assistance. This benefit will help you until you find a new job. However, conditions are also attached to this benefit. You will not usually be entitled to social assistance if your partner pays for your upkeep or you have an owner-occupied home.

Unemployment Benefit

What happens if you become unemployed? You can register as a job seeker at
You can also submit an (electronic) application for unemployment benefit on this website. The Employee Insurance Agency (UVW) will then contact you.
If you are not on the internet you can visit a UWV WERKbedrijf public employment service branch in your neighbourhood.
You apply for social assistance at the UWV WERKbedrijf branch in your town or region. The municipality makes a decision within eight weeks and sends you a letter with its decision on your application.

More information
Do you want to know exactly what you are entitled to and which conditions you must meet? If so, surf to the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment or call 14 00 ​