Working in prostitution: How do you start?
Make sure that - before you begin with sex work - you are familiar with your rights & obligations and working safe. On this page you can find the information you need.
Obligations as a sex worker
• You must have a valid residence status
• You need a registered address
• You must have a Citizen Service Number (burgerservicenummer or BSN)
• You need your own bank account number.
- Depending on where you work, you must register with the Chamber of Commerce and the Tax Office
- You need to pay tax on your earnings wherever you work
- You need to request a permit for all forms of sex work from the municipality where you work.
It is important that you have a lot of sexual experience before you start work as a prostitute. This is because
• You’re vulnerable if you don’t have any experience
• You then know what you do and don’t like and what type of services you want to offer
• Clients can be demanding; you need to be able to fulfil their sexual requirements.
Testing and vaccination
Arrange to be tested for STIs before you start working in the sex industry. This will give you a baseline. Then visit your GP or your local community health clinic for general STI testing twice a year, so that you can keep a close eye on your own health. Get vaccinated against hepatitis B before you start working.