PEP stands for Post Exposure Prophylaxis. It is a course of medication to ensure you don’t contract hiv after you’ve been exposed to hiv.

Clients of prostitutes and PEP
If you have run a risk as a client of a female prostitute (torn condom), this is not a criterion for prescribing PEP.
​Clients of male prostitutes and of transsexual prostitutes (pre-operative, she-males) may be prescribed PEP if they have had sex and the condom tore.


Following an hiv risk – having sex without a condom or if the condom tore – you can visit your local community health clinic (GGD) for advice and treatment with a course of drugs if required.The pills you are given are hiv inhibitors. You will need to take them for one month.The medication can cause side effects.

Within 72 hours
You must start PEP as soon as possible after the hiv risk. Ideally within two hours, but no later than 72 hours afterwards.

Where can I get PEP?

  • First choice: Community health clinic (GGD)
  • Second choice: Hospital A&E department

PEP is always prescribed by a doctor.
Following a consultation and a weighing-up of the risks of your sexual contact and the risks of PEP, the doctor will decide whether you need to take PEP.

The guidelines for prescribing PEP are clearly described for GPs and hospital and community health clinic doctors.